“To all of you who are connected in any way to [Metroport] Meals [On Wheels], I thank you for the wonderful food. I can use each item. Even little Skeeter loved her ‘Bonz’. We both thank you so much.”-Ms. LaVerne
Staples for Seniors delivers special bags of food and household supplies to seniors’ doors every month. These shelf-stable breakfast and dinner meals supplement the hot, home-delivered meals and ensure that something good to eat is always readily available. This program gives a major boost to seniors’ budgets, freeing up money that would normally be spent on groceries to provide for medication, transportation, utilities, and other essentials.
In early winter, MMOW delivers a special package of shelf-stable meals provided by Metroport Rotary Club so that our participants have several meals in the pantry if bad weather makes the roads unsafe for daily deliveries.
Staples for Seniors resonates with our community and has inspired individuals and groups to conduct food drives for MMOW’s participants. For more information about conducting a food drive for MMOW, please call 817-491-8534.
STAPLES FOR SENIORS WISH LIST
- Single serving entrées (cans or microwave containers):
beef stew • pasta meals • macaroni and cheese • chicken and dumplings • chicken and rice
- Hearty, meaty soups (any flavor) – regular or ‘lite’
- Tuna, chicken, or roast beef (single serving cans, foil pouches, or individual cups)
- Spam—low sodium
- Vienna Sausages
- Small jars of creamy peanut butter
- Plastic jars of seedless jelly, jam, preserves, or honey (regular, sugar-free, or fruit only)
- Instant oatmeal (regular or sugar-free)
- Vegetables and fruit (single serving cans or cups)
Carrots • Spinach • Peas • Green Beans • Peaches Pears • Mangos • Mandarin Oranges • Apple Sauce • Pineapple
- Pudding cups
- Kellogg’s Nutri-grain Cereal Bars, or other soft granola bars
- Dried fruit snacks: raisins, cranberries, apricots, apple slices, etc.
- Peanut butter crackers, or cheese crackers
- Cookies—regular or sugar free
- Nuts: Peanuts, almonds, cashews, mixed nuts
- 6-paks of fruit juices – all flavors ok. Crystal Lite/Gatorade—boxes of individual serving packets, all flavors
- Boost and Ensure
Metroport Meals On Wheels serves those in need without regard to race, color, religion, gender, financial status, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, or veteran status.